You’ve caught me in the middle of Game of Thrones. Not the TV series, which I hear is fantastic. It’s actually been years since I actually watched a whole TV series, even from Netflix or DVD.
I still read – Sarah Dunant’s Blood & Beauty, about the Borgias, is tucked into my purse for the next good opportunity to just be still, but for the times that isn’t possible, which lately is most of the time – I listen to audiobooks. I listen while I cook, plan meals, run, lift weights, drive the kids to school, and commute to work.
The Game of Thrones audiobook is so good that as I was writing this recipe my mind kept returning to Arya and Bran Stark, John Snow and Tyrion Lannister. If you don’t know who they are, go find out right now! Download book one and listen while you have a glass of Viognier and make this beautiful spring salad of pea vines & strawberries.
Pea vines, also known as pea shoots or pea tendrils, come from snow or sugar snap peas and are only available for about a month in early spring, usually mid-April to mid-May along the central Atlantic coast. This year, because of the long winter, they’re late — lucky for you, since you might still be able to find some.
I found mine at the Gardener’s Gourmet stand at the Baltimore Farmer’s Market and Bazaar, the one on Sunday mornings under the JFX. I love getting up early on Sundays and heading to the market for a cup of fresh roasted, small batch coffee from Zeke’s and an hour of two of bounty hunting (the vegetable kind of bounty). Last week, in addition to the pea vines and strawberries, I brought home the first fresh broccoli I’ve seen this season – Gardener’s Gourmet grows it under tented plastic for an early harvest.
Pea vines are often used in Chinese cooking, but I think they’re perfect in a simple salad. I chopped the pea vines into bite sized pieces before adding them to my salad because they’re - well, vines — and that means you’re dealing with long strands of greens that can’t exactly be slurped up as easily as spaghetti. Once you’ve tasted this salad and find yourself suddenly obsessed with both Game of Thrones and pea vines, download book two and try five more pea vine recipes:
- Momofuku, Stir-fried Pea Shoots with Garlic
- The Kitchn, Crostini with Pea Shoots and Strawberries
- The Yellow House, Garlicky Pea Shoots
- Jelly Toast, Pesto with Pea Shoots and Garlic Scapes
- Etta + Billie, Vegetarian Soba Noodles with Carrots, Pea Shoots, and Avocado
- 4 ounces pea shoots, washed
- ½ pint of strawberries, washed and sliced
- 2 spring onions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, cut in half vertically
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, removed from stem
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tear the pea vines into bite-sized pieces and place in a large salad bowl.
- Add the green onions and snap peas and toss.
- Top with strawberries.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir with a whisk.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve.