There’s still a chill in the air every morning, but my kitchen is already shifting toward spring. I find myself eating lighter meals – often vegetarian – and when I do cook meat, I’m using the grill. J. has had the smoker going the last couple of weekends, and this afternoon he’s cooking up a pork shoulder for carnitas that I’ll roll in up the butter lettuce I’ve got growing on the deck. With fresh produce rolling in at the farmers markets and our summer CSA program starting up in a couple of weeks, I’m also using fewer ingredients, letting the natural flavor of the vegetables we’ve been missing all year shine.
In that vein, here’s a quick and easy recipe for roasted radishes, which are plentiful at our local markets. I hadn’t thought of roasting radishes until I bought so many last weekend — too many for topping salads or garnishing posole. Roasting is a standard preparation for vegetables at our house. Pretty much everything tastes good tossed in olive oil, roasted, and sprinkled with lemon juice, and it turns out radishes are no exception. What’s unusual about this recipe, adapted from Food & Wine, is the high heat – 500 degrees. I usually roast vegetables at 375 or 400 with a dish of water in the bottom of the oven to create steam and keep vegetables from drying out , so I was skeptical about turning the oven up to 500. Turns out the recipe was correct – 500 works beautifully.
Wondering how to serve roasted radishes? They’re good on their own as a side dish- even my 7-year-old likes them – but they’re also good at room temperature atop salads. Try cleaning the radish tops and using them for the salad. They’re peppery enough that a simple lemon vinaigrette and the roasted radishes are all you need. If you’re feeling adventurous, try the winner of Food 52’s best radish recipe contest, Roasted Radish and Potato Salad with Black Mustard and Cumin Seed.
- 3 bunches small radishes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 500°. Trim the radishes and wash the greens; pat dry.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil until shimmering.
- Add the radishes, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned in spots, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the radishes for 15 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Sprinkle lemon juice over the roasted radishes.